Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The need to change constantly

I never knew how important it would be to be flexible as a sole practitioner lawyer. The market is constantly changing. One day, there is a great need for litigation. The next, it is a strong real estate market. The next, people are dying, and everybody remembers that they need a will. The next, people are on fire to start up companies and need a lawyer to get them started. The next, companies are buying each other out, merging, or liquidating. The next day, forclosures are the big thing.

I am learning, with some time and effort, that it is impossible to keep up, and the the importance of choosing some key areas of focus. I have started to narrow my focus areas, and it is feeling good. I am attracting a broader client base as a result, and am able to provide better service to those key area clients.

At first, I was afraid that I would have to try to be everything to everybody, but I have learned that this is impossible, and not economically or chronologically feasible. It is too hard to start from scratch from one file to the next. I am appreciating the feeling of developing a particular expertise in the areas of real estate, wills and estates and divorce law. These are to become the bread and butter of our practice. I am also focussing a lot of time on mediation and arbitration training and marketing. Focus is good. Focus is safer. Focus is financially sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment