Friday, June 09, 2006

Law School: Exercise - So Important

You may think that post does not apply to you. You may think that you do not have time or energy now to exercise, so why would you have time during law school, when you will already be so busy. If you really, truly believe this, then skip post and read on.

Making time for exercise, even if it is very moderate exercise will do wonders for you during law school. I am a huge advocate of making exercise a priority. I cannot speak for all of my former classmates, but I know that for myself, my productivity with schoolwork went down dramatically when I did not make time for a workout on a regular basis. Exercise can help you in a number of ways. First, it allows you to take some time for yourself, to feed your body something that is good for it. It allows you to get away from the stress of case briefing, study groups, and the general mêlée of law school. It allows you to see another part of the campus, which is rare because you will likely be taking your classes all in the same building during law school. Exercise also gives you stamina and energy later on, especially during exam preparation time and during exams. As well, because you will be forced to sit in a desk chair for so many hours every day, establishing some muscle base will allow you to continue to burn calories, even while you are stationary.

I chose to workout three to four times per week for 1 hour per day during my first two years of law school. I tried to go with a friend as often as possible. This kept me accountable, and provided some much needed social interaction, which I felt deeply deprived of. During my last year, I chose to train for a triathlon, something I had been wanting to do for years, and for which I felt I had more time to concentrate on with a lighter course load and less anxiety about finding a job.

There are many other opportunities to be active. Our law school had a running club. They also had a rugby club, and quite a few intramural teams. We also had a yoga club. Many of my classmates worked out at the gym, got involved in intramurals on their own, and some even joined a modern dance class on campus. The school that you choose will offer many opportunities as well.

What I saw too often during law school were people who said they did not have time to exercise. They spent hour upon hour in the law library, trying to tackle the mountain of material in front of them. You could almost see them begin to wilt by early afternoon, and many of them were head-down on the desk by early evening. I think that if they had chosen to take an hour break and go move their body a bit, they would have enjoyed a much better rate of return for their study time later on in the day.

Exercise also sets good stress relief habits that will be needed throughout your career, so you may as well start the habit in law school, if you haven’t set it already.

2 comments:

  1. Yo:

    Yeah! I slacked off a lot for 1L in terms of hitting the gym. I too need to establish a fixed routine and SOMEHOW get a regular exercise schedule going again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo:

    Yeah! I slacked off a lot for 1L in terms of hitting the gym. I too need to establish a fixed routine and SOMEHOW get a regular exercise schedule going again.

    ReplyDelete